I absolutely fell in love with Gennifer Bursett’s Favorite Things collection when I first saw it in the store. I knew I wanted to make a little mini book with these to document our favorite things.
Have you see those popular SMASH books? They are basically coil bound albums with mixed pages where you can attach your items. I decided to make an album in that style.
- I decided to make my album size 7″ x 6″.
- I cut 3 pieces of Chipboard, 2- 7″ x 6″ 1- 1.5″ x 7″.
- I cut a piece of plain canvas to 9″ x 5″
- I used Claudine Hellmuth’s Matte Medium to adhere the canvas to the chipboard.
- I printed papers back to back on Matte Photo Paper.
- I trimmed the papers to 5.5″ x 6.5″
- I also cut some kraft paper, white textured cardstock, tracing paper.
- I also added some envelopes and tags.
- I used my bind it all to punch holes in all the papers, envelopes and tags.
- I cut patterned paper to line the inside covers 2- 5 7/8″ x 6 7/8″ .
- I rounded 2 corners on each.
- I loaded the pages on a 5/8″ coil (pictured on a 1″ coil before I realized it was too big d’OH!).
- I cut a piece of cardstock 6.5″ x 12.
- I scored the cardstock at 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7.
- I folded the middle score like a mountain and all the others like valleys.
- I punched holes
- I put the scored cardstock on the binder rings and squeezed them shut with the bind it all.
- I used post it notes to show me what area to apply the gel medium to adhere the album to chipboard.
- I adhered the album to the chipboard.
- I adhered the patterned paper in the inside of the chipboard.
Here is the finished album, I didn’t photograph every page, but most of them.
- I added a little strip of patterned paper (3 3/8 x 2″) to the cover and a piece of washi tape.
- first page/title page
- I created this page in PS and printed 4 copies. I plan to fill it by interviewing each member of our family.
- miscellaneous printed pages, kraft cardstock
- each section has the same number of pages, one tag and one envelope.
- last page
I can’t wait to fill this album up with our family favorites. I am planning to add instax mini photos and memorabilia with washi tape and staples.
if you want the cover to be longer than the inside pages:
coil size + page length < chipboard cover
if you want it to be even:
coil size + page length = chipboard cover
If you want all even cuts:
album chipboard 5 1/8 x 6, coil 5/8″, inside pages 4.5 x6″, cardstock that gets glued to frame 5 7/8 x 12 (scored 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5,7)
If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments and I’ll do my best to answer them.