When you think spring, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Blog hop! Really?! That’s what we thought too! At Design House Digital we love nothing better than a blog hop, so…
Welcome to the DHD Mad March Memories 2012 Blog Hop!
We have a whole team of designers and decorators who have generously donated their insights into scrapping, including tools of the trade, tricks for incredible looking scrapbook pages, blog drawings for prizes, and a load of freebies too! Hop to each of the blogs listed below to pick up some awesome tips and tricks, and download those freebies. Check out the designer blogs, they might have a drawing for kits in the shop! Each participating blog also has a secret LETTER for you to collect as you pass through. Put together the five word phrase that the secret LETTERS comprise, and post your answer to the LETTER game here: http://www.designhousedigital.com/contests/march-2012.php . Anyone who submits the correct phrase will be entered into a drawing for the blog hop grand prize: a Wacom tablet! Contest entries must be received by Wednesday, March 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM MST.
What would a spring blog hop be without a spring kit, you ask? Of course, our amazing designers have also put together a fabulous collaboration kit as part of the celebration: Spring Menagerie. And, guess what? Everyone who participates in the secret LETTER game will get a coupon to download the Spring Menagerie collaboration kit free from the shop. Pretty cool, huh? Who doesn’t like free stuff?! (And, if you like our collaboration kit colors, you might want to use the kit in the March color swatch challenge – we used the same colors!)
Keep checking back on the blog, because more Mad March Memories challenges are coming this week.
My tip and freebie link are below. And, kicking off our LETTER game, is the first letter: M.
- Anna Drozd
- Aria Andrus
- Audrey Neal
- Carey Bridges
- Celeste Knight
- Celeste Smith
- Erica Coombs
- Gennifer Bursett
- Jen Allyson
- Jen Papadimitriou
- Karen Funk
- Katherine Hansen
- Lori Pickens
- Mandi Buchanan
- Mary Rogers
- Robyn Meierotto
- Sarah Hemmert
- Shannon Dombkowski
- Tiffany Bodily
- Wendy Bretz
How about a fun tutorial from Decorator Liz Jutila to get this blog hop started!
I love to make word art, don’t you? And I think turning word art into a sticker gives it a great “finished” look. Here is a very simple way to turn word art into a sticker. (Note: these instructions are using PSE.)
- Type your word(s), and simplify (rasterize) the text layer.
- Add any other embellishments you choose, and merge the embellishments with the simplified text layer to create the word art.
- Add a blank layer below the word art layer.
- Control click/command click on the word art layer. This will give you marching ants around your word art. Click on the blank layer you created in step 3.
- On the top tool bar, click on select > modify > expand > (pick your thickness here – try 15 pixels to start, you can always undo and change the thickness).
- Make sure your foreground color is white.
- Type K (the shortcut for the paint bucket), and click within the marching ants. Voila, a sticker layer!
- Give the sticker layer a little drop shadow to make it more realistic.
- Save your word art sticker as a png, and you can use it over and over!
In my example, I used the font “39 smooth,” which is a free font at Dafont. I also used butterflies from Karen Funk’s portion of the Spring Menagerie kit. You can download my word art sample here. As an additional bonus, anyone who enters a layout in the DHD gallery before March 18, 2012 using my word art will be eligible for a $5.00 DHD gift certificate. Happy spring!